The Best Mushroom Gravy Recipe that is Vegan and Gluten-Free! Made with only 9 fresh ingredients. Drizzle it all over mashed potatoes, steak and much more!
Everyone loves a good gravy during the holidays, but for people who are vegan or celiac, their options can be limited. I created this recipe back when I was vegan a couple of years ago and needed to bring my own gravy to our family functions. It was so good that my celiac cousin asked me for the recipe and I have been preparing it for our family get-togethers ever since.
Easy Mushroom Gravy
Making this delicious mushroom gravy is very straight forward because we rely on the flavours of the ingredients rather than doing anything complicated. To make it we just sautee our mushrooms and onions, add our herbs and then thicken the sauce with the corn starch. I recommend using portobello mushrooms for their depth and using fresh thyme and rosemary for their strong, complementary flavours.
How Do You Thicken Gravy?
Most recipes rely on flour to thicken the gravy, and that obviously won’t work if we are trying to go gluten-free. Instead we use corn starch to thicken the gravy. By the way, make sure to add the cornstarch to cool water before adding it to the gravy so it doesn’t clump up.
What Does This Mushroom Gravy Recipe Pair With?
Hmm.. everything? I do literally put it on everything though! Here are some of the dishes this mushroom gravy goes best with:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Chicken
- Stock: substitute vegetable stock can be replaced with chicken or beef of your choice.
- Butter: substitute vegan butter with regular butter with the same measurement.
- Herbs: herbs like sage also works with this recipe together with thyme and rosemary.
Finally, if you ever decide to make this recipe and share it on Facebook or Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me @onehungrymonkey, or #onehungrymonkey. I would love to see your delicious creations! Never miss a recipe by signing up for our email list!
Mushroom Gravy Recipe (Vegan/Gluten-Free)
- 5 Portobello Mushroom
- 1 1/2 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 3 3/4 cup Vegetable Stock
- 4 1/2 tbsp Tamari
- 4 tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 stems Rosemary
- 6 stems Thyme
- Large pot
- Cut portobello mushrooms into large cubes. Set aside.
- Dice onion and garlic. Set aside.
Making Mushroom Gravy
- Melt butter in a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and stir fry for 3 minutes until the onion has turned slightly translucent.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary and thyme. Stir everything for another 5 minutes on medium heat. Then add tamari, cook for another 5 minutes. Stir frequently to combine all the flavours together.
- Add the vegetable stock into the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Mix corn starch with 4 tbsp of cold water and mix into a slurry and add it to the gravy. Keep stirring until the slurry completely dissolves into the gravy.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally until the gravy thickens into the desired consistency.
- Add 1 tbsp of corn starch with 1 tbsp of cold water at a time to thicken the gravy.
- Keep the gravy in an air-tight container for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Want to save this Mushroom Gravy Recipe for later? Pin the recipe to your Pinterest boards: