Cookies and Cream Donuts are made from soft, moist baked vanilla donuts that are dipped in a homemade cashew cream icing and topped off with a generous sprinkle of Oreos! And these decadent and dreamy cookies and cream donuts happen to be vegan as well!
I came up with this recipe for Cookies and Cream Donuts late one night after all the stores were closed and I was craving donuts. So I went to the kitchen, cracked out the flour, Oreos and cashews and started to make my own! These donuts quickly became one of my favourite desserts to make. So let’s jump in and get started! 😄
Like most of my recipes, I created these cookies and cream donuts with the intention of using simple ingredients that are easily accessible for everyone. You’ll probably find that you already own most the ingredients needed, and if not they are almost guaranteed to be found in your local grocery store. And by using these easy to find ingredients we avoid all the extra sugars and other additives found in store-bought donuts.
Cashew Cream Icing
Let’s talk about the icing. I wanted to create a healthier option made with wholesome ingredients, but still decadent. So I decided to use cashew to make the cream icing. It adds some healthy fat, a bit of protein, and tastes delicious. To make the icing we combine soaked cashews, real vanilla extract, maple syrup and some water and blend until creamy. It’s important to soak your cashews in hot water an hour beforehand so that the icing comes out smoother and creamier than non-soaked cashews. And don’t worry if you forget to soak them, you can also boil the cashews for 10 minutes and that works just as well.
Making Cookies and Cream Donuts
We are going to bake the donuts instead of frying them. It’s a healthier alternative and it cuts down on the mess and having to deal with the oil and cleaning it up. I also find that baking the donuts gives them a light and fluffy texture that doesn’t feel heavy like fried donuts do. Once their baked we are going to dip the donuts in the icing and top with broken Oreos! I don’t know about you but I love my cookies and cream donuts with some extra cookies.
Btw for the silicone donut mould, I am using a silicone donut baking tray. I love how easy it is to remove the donuts from the baking tray and their very easy to clean. You can easily find them on Amazon.
It’s Cookies and Cream Donut time!
Light and airy donuts with the familiar crunch from the Oreos. These donuts are fluffy, moist, and filled with cookies and cream in every bite. I would highly recommend having this with a glass of almond milk and enjoy with friends.
These donuts are perfect for a mid-day snack or a healthier dessert. Light and sweet, they are the perfect blend of sweet cashew cream icing with soft baked donuts topped with crunchy Oreo to satisfy your sweet tooth! I have to warn you they are highly addictive.😋
Disclosure: some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Cookies and Cream Donuts (Vegan/Healthy)
- 1 cup Raw Cashew
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 cup Maple Syrup
- 5 Oreos
- Silicone Donut Baking Tray
- Mixing bowl
- Mix organic all-purpose flour, Himalayan salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Form a well in the center of the bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in the middle of the well. Then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients until it forms a thick batter.
- Evenly distribute the donut batter into the 6 donut baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Pop them out of the donut baking tray. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes before dipping them into the cashew cream.
- Blend the soaked raw cashews, water, vanilla extract, and maple syrup in a high-speed blender until it turns into a smooth consistency.
- Scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula as needed.
- Pour the cashew cream into a bowl to keep in the fridge while waiting for the donuts to finish baking.
- Cut the Oreo cookies into small crumbs. Leave a couple bigger pieces for decoration.
Making Cookies and Cream Donuts
- Dip the cooled donuts into the cashew cream with the smooth side (bottom side) of the donuts. Then sprinkle the cookie crumbs on top.
Baking tray: I recommend using silicon donut trays for this recipe, which makes taking out the donut a lot easier.
Storage: Store the leftovers in a container with a loose-fitting lid for up to 5 days.
Substitution: To make this recipe oil-free. Substitute coconut oil with any nut butter will work.
Want to save this Cookies and Cream Donuts recipe for later? Pin the recipe to your Pinterest boards:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.