Ever wonder how to make the perfect hummus? After you try how easy this recipe is, you will never go back to store-bought hummus. This recipe only calls for 7 wholesome ingredients! It’s Oil-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan and So Delicious!
Step 1: Gather your ingredients
Instead of using oil or water I used the aquafaba that usually gets left behind when using chickpeas because it gives the hummus a thick and smooth texture. You will need 1/2 cup of aquafaba which usually is the usual amount in a 540ml/19oz can of chickpeas. I am using canned chickpeas because like most of us, we don’t always have the time to soak and cook chickpeas from raw. However, if you have the time to cook the chickpeas from raw. That is definitely a great idea.
Step 2: Dump into the food processor
This is probably the most labour intensive part of the recipes. Yes! It is that easy. All you need to do is to dump all the ingredients into the food processor. If you don’t have a food processor on hand, a high-speed blender works just as well!
Step 3: Blend hummus!
Start at a low speed on your food processor. Once all the chickpeas are broken down, turn the speed up to high. Blend for around 5 minutes, or until everything is smooth and creamy!
Step 4: Top it up!
Spread your hummus onto a plate. Traditional hummus is lightly drizzled with olive oil. Personally, I love mine with a sprinkle of cumin and sumac. You can, of course, top with whatever spices, and herbs you like, the world is your oyster! Make it your style!
I hope you LOVE this hummus, it’s:
- Easy to make
- & So Delicious
Finally, if you ever decide to make this recipe and share on Facebook or Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me @onehungrymonkey, or #onehungrymonkey. I would love to see your delicious creations! Never miss a recipe by signing up to our email list!
Best Oil-Free Hummus
- 19 oz Canned Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Aquafaba
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- Food Processor
Prepare the Chickpeas
- Drain the chickpeas with a strainer. Then save the 1/2 cup of the aquafaba in a bowl.
Making the Hummus
- Add chickpea, tahini, aquafaba, garlic, cumin, Himalayan salt into the food processor or a high-speed blender along with the juice of half of a lemon.
- Start to blend with low speed to break down the chickpeas into smaller parts.
- Turn the speed to high. Blend for 5 minutes, or until the hummus is smooth and fluffy. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as needed.
- Adjust tahini in 1/4 cup increments if you prefer your hummus to be thicker. Adjust the aquafaba in 1/4 cup increments if you prefer your hummus to be a thinner consistency.
- Serve as it is, or toppings of choice. Leftovers keep in fridge up to 7 days.
- Both food processor and the high-speed blender will work for this recipe.
- If you don't have aquafaba in hand, you can also use water in 1/4 cup increment to desired consistency.
Want to save this Hummus for later? Pin the recipe to your Pinterest boards:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.